Saturday, September 09, 2006

Beauty in the Simple Things

Today, I took a drive to do some self-photography assignments. I'm always trying to stretch my skills & I'm completely a visual learner so I have to get out & "do" things.

Anyway, I was out tromping around the great outdoors on this beautiful not-quite-fallish day...the temperature was perfect, there was a slight breeze, & the sound of the wind rustling through the grass & trees was just soothing. When I started out on my "adventure," I had a headache & felt "blah," but there's something wonderful about being out in God's grand creation....it's always relaxing & I realize that I don't do it enough anymore. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the day-to-day "stuff" of life that (I hate to sound like a cliche' but...) we forget to "stop & smell the roses"-- the real ones. And as we're speeding by in our SUV's trying to make it to our appointments on time, it's doubtful if we ever really see the beauty that's God has laid out all around us. That's why I have always enjoyed vacationing in the mountains. I'm in awe every time I see those majestic mounds of earth....and I'm always reminded that I really am just a small fish in this big pond called earth.

But you know what? There's beauty right here in Leedey, Oklahoma. Few will pack their bags to vacation in our small town, but there's beauty nonetheless. I found some today in the weeds, the pastures, the sun peeking through the clouds....


So this is YOUR assignment: take time to look at the beauty all around you in unexpected places. And if you happen to have your camera with you, take a pic....I'll share it on my blog!

No comments: