Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Total Lunar Eclipse: My View

My neighbors must think I'm crazy.

I ran out of the house in my pajamas at 6:30 a.m. this morning with a camera in hand. Then I ran back inside & appeared again with a different camera.

My husband had called to tell me to grab my camera because the eclipse was taking place. I had just watched the news and they were talking about it, but for some reason, I thought it was already over.

So, ever the obedient wife (lol!) I ran outside with my camera....but I had the wrong lens on. So, I went back for my l-o-o-o-o-ng lens and this is what I saw...





As you can see, I missed the "total" part of the "total lunar eclipse," but it will do.

For the photographers out there: this was much harder to shoot than I thought. I had my 70-200mm 2.8 VR lens on & cranked it wide open, but still had to hand-hold it with a SS of 10 & my ISO cranked up as far as it would go (1600 on this particular camera). Then I had a hard time finding anything to focus on; it wouldn't focus on the moon or even the tree in the foreground. I'm just surprised it turned out at all. I expected it to be a total blur, especially since I tend to be really shaky at times (thank goodness for VR!).

I took my 5-year-old daughter out to witness the event since she got up early, but she wasn't nearly as impressed as I was.

She thinks I'm crazy, too. :)

5 comments:

LuckyRedHen said...

That's the BEST picture of the eclipse I've seen all day! I like that you have the trees in the composition and the way you got the 3 different colors of the moon in the one shot! :o)

Unknown said...

OOOOh you caught some of it!!! And nicely too! I thought it was going to take place at 12:30am? Oh well, I was getting my much needed beauty sleep either way! :p

Mike Larson said...

cool shot, i was out shooting too! fun night

Christina said...

I like it!!

Really pretty!

I was so bummed I missed the eclipse. :-(

Steven Kang said...

That's great shot of lunar eclipse.
Check out my shot of total lunar eclipes.